Post by David Sechrest on Jun 28, 2006 15:49:26 GMT -5
When the "new" Central School was built in 1905, the frame structure of the old Central was moved to 14th & Union and became Columbus' only school for black children.
David Sechrest Historic Columbus Indiana Progress should not ignore its roots and pillage our heritage in the process. Cultural, social, and historical should be part of the process, for it is the path and not the destination that is important - S. Givens
"The Booker T. Washington School was Columbus' only African-American school (grades 1-7). By circa 1899, the town's African-American population had increased enough to qualify for a seperate school under 1869 Indiana Law.
Like other African-American schools around the state, it was a symbol of community pride and achievement; however, it closed in 1922.
A Historical Marker is located at the North East corner of 14th & Union Street." END QUOTE
Sign Placement: Erected 1998 Indiana Historical Bureau Cummins Engine Foundation and Historic Landmarks Foundation of Indiana